Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Not your average Mac & Cheese

OK…let’s be honest! This is one of those recipes that if you think about the calories involved you simply CANNOT enjoy it! So, today let’s play pretend and not think about the “c” word (calories)! You’ll thank me later! Or maybe you won’t?!

Years ago I tried a recipe for Mac & Cheese that had cottage cheese in it! *Some of you may want to exit this blog now. DON’T!! Trust me the cottage cheese makes it Heavenly!* For the life of me I have NO IDEA where I “filed” that recipe away!! I do remember loving it though! So a few months back I was on the search again! I finally ran across one that sort of kind of fit my memory of it but, it wasn’t exactly right! With a little tweaking here and a little tweaking there…By George I think I’ve Got it!!! I made it a month or so ago when all of our kiddos were here and it was a HIT! I made it again last night but I didn’t take a picture for you because (a) I used bow tie pasta instead of elbow macaroni and (b) I didn’t have any crackers so it was simply “naked” mac & cheese! It would be sort of like me going out in public without makeup and someone wanting to take a picture of me!  NOT HAPPENING!!!
Go give it a try!  Its great left-over too!!  Hey, I think I’ll go warm me up some!

Not your average Mac & Cheese

INGREDIENTS:
1 (8 oz.) package elbow macaroni
1 (8 oz.) package sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 (12 oz.) container small curd cottage cheese
1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
*************************
1 sleeve Ritz crackers (crushed)
1/4 c. butter, melted

DIRECTIONS:
1.  Preheat oven to 350°. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, add pasta, and cook until done; drain.
2.  Spray a 9x13 pan with Pam. Stir together macaroni, shredded cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, salt & pepper, and dry mustard. Pour into pan. In a small bowl, mix together crushed crackers and melted butter, stir. Sprinkle crackers over macaroni mixture.
3.  Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels