Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Are you Kidding me??

Boy am I getting a lesson on snakes! I have to look them up to make sure they aren't poisonous! McKenzee, Keegen, and Mac came by tonight for a visit...they came to the front door and all I could hear was her screaming...SNAKE! I expected to open the door and find a HUGE snake that was about to eat her...Keegen was already past it and waiting on my doorstep without a fear in the world! I had to tell him over and over that he couldn't pick snakes up because we don't know if they will hurt him. He was dying to get his hands on it!
Here is what I saw when I opened the door:




Ready to STRIKE...Be scared...be really scared!!


Had to give you a visual of how BIG the snake really was! Yes...that's a penny!


Underside of the snake!


DESCRIPTION:
The species name is Southern Ringneck Snake, Diadophis punctatus punctatus. It is very small, rarely reaching more than a foot long. The baby snakes, which hatch from eggs, are extremely tiny, and about only four inches long.

General description: The aptly named ringneck has a bright band around its neck. Its back is black or slate-gray and its belly is yellow or orange.

Size: The ringneck snake grows to be 10 to 15 inches long.

Fun facts
Ringneck snakes are most active at dusk. In very hot weather they may only come out at night. When approached by predators, they coil their tails, exposing its brightly colored underside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels