Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Martha or Mary or simply confused??

Without a doubt I’m a Martha but oh how I long to be more like Mary!  The problem is…I LOVE too many things!  I always want to try EVERYTHING at least once and I always feel like things have to be perfect before inviting guests over or even opening the door to the UPS man just for a simple delivery! So I can only imagine if Jesus showed up at my door! I. WOULD. PANIC.!!
My brain never slows down it just wants to keep learning and doing and learning and doing!  Do you have any idea how hard it is to sit here and type and not keep getting up??!!  I tend to love everything I learn or do!  Sit still…what does that mean?  I often wonder if I make it to 80 if I’ll still be wondering what I’m supposed to be when I grow up?!  I come from a long line of “learners & doers”!!


My Great Grandma constantly had something in her hands working on it! I could sit and watch her for hours and just learn from her she was over the top amazing and she had a PINK kitchen to boot!!  She had to convert her garage into a fabric/craft room and had to build on a new garage because she ran out of room!  I loved to open her cabinets and just stare at all her fabric.  I have so many dear sweet memories of her.  Oh how I miss her!  My mom always says if the glue gun would have been invented before Great Grandma passed away she would still be alive today making everything she hadn't made before!

My Grandma well, let’s just say she’s over 80 (but acts 29) and on her last cruise her only regret was that she didn't go zip lining!  Grandma next time you go I expect pictures of this venture!
She’s as good as the younger generation on the iPhone/iPad or computer and her texting skills are top notch!  She’s the snazziest dressed grandma you’ll ever meet!  I'm certain it's where I get my love of animal print from!  She always tells me "you’re never too old to keep learning and trying new adventures"!  Her Lemon Meringue pie is the best this side of Heaven!

And my Mom, if you’ve ever been to her house you’ll understand what I’m about to say!  She often forgets for a split second she has company because she’s on to the next project or fixing the next meal all at the same time involving you in whatever she’s doing!  It may even be harder for her to sit still than it is for myself! She has the biggest heart and would do anything for anyone!  She loves to give “gifts” that she’s made for no reason at all.  She has the most decorated packages mailed through the post office any person could have.  Even though we live in the same town, sometimes I want her to mail things to me just to get one of her glorified boxes! One would think she has a deadline to meet because of how she hurries but she’s always so ahead of schedule it makes me wonder if I’m really adopted! I’ve asked her before “Mom, who are you making that for?” and her response has been, “Oh, I don’t know I'm just making it so I’ll have something ready for the next baby shower!” Come on people…who does that??  Me on the other hand…I wait til the VERY last minute then I’m scrambling to finish something but I always pull through!  It’s one benefit of having the “first born child perfectionism syndrome” because I care about every last detail and make sure it perfect before giving it as a gift!

I LOVE having a line of “doers” in my family!  I’m afraid I passed it on to at least one of my children too!  My son Brock is also a doer!  I think his wife blames me but in all honesty…it goes way farther back than me!!  And I'm almost positive that one or more of my grandchildren will inherit this trait!

Luke 10:38-42 (NIV)
At the Home of Martha and Mary
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”


I’ve always been confused at the story of Martha & Mary!  If Martha didn’t do it then WHO was going to get the job done? And if Mary didn’t sit at the feet of Jesus then WHO was going to?  I think we have to be a little of both of these women but finding the right combination can get confusing!

Right here right now in the beginning of 2015 I’m vowing to myself and others that I’m going to try my very best to be a little more Mary and sit at the feet of Jesus a little longer.  And I’m 100% certain when my kids read this they’ll panic!  Don’t worry children I’ll still cook for you and make for you and do for you and your youngins too!!

How about you?  Are you a Martha or a Mary or are you just as confused as me...?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels