Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Old Fashioned Fried Chicken~Mmm, Mmm, GOOD!

Now I know most everyone knows how to make Fried Chicken.  I thought I did too until my husband came home with a new “recipe” from one of his sweet little weekly hair ladies.
He said, “You don’t know how to cut up a whole chicken do you!?” I said, “Of course I do, I used to cut them up all the time!!”  He was amazed!  I guess it’s been too long ago and he just doesn’t remember.  Besides, who doesn’t want to buy one already cut up to cook!!

He told me to grab a piece of paper and write down what he was about to tell me.  I looked at him and said, “Are you kidding?  Do you really think I need a “recipe” for fried chicken?”  {Remember, he’s the one that can’t boil water so for him to give me a recipe seemed quite odd!} So I went along with his little funny and wrote down word for word what he told me!  And then he said, “Don’t forget...you HAVE to use a cast iron skillet for it to turn out crispy!”

Well, I had to prove to him that I knew how.  If you know me...you know I LOVE a challenge!
We have a local bulk food store and they have FRESH {as in NEVER been frozen} whole chickens that come in on Thursday’s every week.  On Thursday I grabbed me a couple of chickens and the preparation began!

~Old Fashioned Fried Chicken~
1.    Cut up your FRESH whole chicken! {I haven't looked but I’m sure youtube has a video for this}
2.    Soak chicken pieces it in salt water overnight.
3.    The next day, put shortening in a cast iron skillet and turn the fire up {not blasting up, just up}!
4.    Lay the chicken pieces out on a plate or platter and season them with salt & pepper on both sides {I threw in a little garlic salt too}.
5.    Dip the chicken pieces in flour ONLY {this is where I almost rebelled against his “recipe”!  NO milk and egg or buttermilk???  How was this going to work?}
6.    Crisp/brown both sides then turn the fire down a bit, put a lid on allowing a little steam to escape, and cook slowly!

My Dad used to make the best fried chicken and my Aunt Ann requested it for her and my uncle last time they came to visit. She told me I did it right??!!!  Aunt Ann...I have to tell you this one topped it!!  Mike said it was the best fried chicken he’s ever eaten!  AND my 7 yr. old grandson Keegen said {while eating warmed up left overs}...”MiMi, what did you do to this chicken, this is the best chicken in the world!”
Go for it!  Get out of your fried chicken box and give Mike’s “recipe” a try!  I promise you won’t be sorry you did!  Remember, the cast iron skillet is a MUST!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels